Sunday, April 20, 2008

planes, trains and automophobias

A current favorite toy- this little helicopter. He has taken quite a liking to planes and helicopters and trains and such lately, something that has taken us a little by surprise since we don't read books or watch movies with such themes, and only have a few simple wooden toys to inspire this type of play. But he would happily spend the day watching the trains at the railroad station, and runs to the window at the sound of a plane, determined to spot it. I am a little afraid of raising an auto obsessed little boy, though I see it happening to the boys around me- I know it can happen to the best of us. So far though, he is still pretty well rounded in his play. Tonight he ran around the house first as a "fast plane," then as a bird, a dragonfly, a horse, and a bunny. Covering all the bases, really. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that this keeps up, but of course I'll love him just the same whether he chooses his waldorf doll or his wooden train to snuggle up in bed with him.

3 comments:

  1. His doll would be a lot softer to lie on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my wee boy goes back and forth 'tween bring a softie to bed, or a "digger" or a some toy insect or animal...though the last two nights it's been a rather large, soft orca whale that takes up so much room in our family bed that i have to push it against the headboard.

    they seem to wobble between being hard and soft themselves trying to find a space in middle for many loves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do have a way of being themselves, always. I wanted Dieter to be more into animals, but he casts them aside to his little brother so he can play with his dinosaurs. They are such their own little people. And I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete