Wednesday, July 09, 2008

rain and reflections

As soon as I wrote the last post about summer the rains started falling and haven't let up since. Ari is still happiest outside, and couldn't care less if he spends his days wet and covered in mud, but not me so much. So whenever I can sneak back inside and dry off a little I do, and bury myself in my crafting and nesting projects. One curtain in Ari's room has replaced the wool blanket that had been tacked over the window since we moved back in. (I hate making curtains. Really really hate it. There is so much hemming and fiddling and impossibly large pieces of fabric to cut straight and they never turn out as neat and tidy as I feel they should after all that fiddling. There are still 5 more windows to cover before this project is done. grr.) Some art has made it onto his walls and there is a nice blue and green dyed silk hung above the bed (an Enki suggestion to lower the ceilings and make a space more calming for kids.) Our bedroom/baby's room will be next on the list.
I completed a few more ribbon blankets, one of which was my first commission, the others will go to new babies that are expected after my babe arrives, since I don't foresee many crafting moments come autumn. And I am reading all the books and magazines I can on birth and babies. And sending as much good energy as possible to the hopes of being able to birth this baby at home.
Because we have no local midwife, homebirth doesn't really happen in my little town unless people are willing to birth unassisted. I have always imagined birthing my babies at home though, growing up surrounded by my parent's homebirthing friends and Mothering Magazines and Ina May Gaskin's books on our shelves. I contacted a midwife from a town 4 hours away and she may be able to attend me, if I don't have this baby early, like Ari was. So I am trying to keep really positive about it all, still hoping that it can work out, but knowing I can have another positive hospital experience if it comes down to that. But I can't help but devour the chapters in my childbirth books on preparing for homebirths and writing lists and dreaming. So any warm happy homebirthing vibes anyone wants to send my way...
And now I'm off to an early bed, to the sound of rain on the tin roof. Goodnight!

5 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 10, 2008

    Sending homebirth vibes your way!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes! Sending lots of head down, easy birth at home prayers your way friend. And rain on a tin roof is heaven to me. Aaahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you lots of homebirth vibes. Both my children were born at home and I have happy memories of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added you to my blog roll...hope that's ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a homebirth attendant I will happily sending you smooth birthing vibes. Here in the big state of Oregon we often attend Moms several hours away. It's natural in the farm communities where folks live so far out.

    Your situation reminds me of the mantra, 'A midwife for every Mom.'

    I totally support UC.

    If you need anything, let me know. *wink*

    ReplyDelete