Our garlic tops were ready to be picked the other day and my mom had just made pesto from hers and was raving about it. I've only ever fried them up with stirfrys and such and so was keen to give it a go- especially since our basil plants are doing a whole lot of nothing this year.
I would post a recipe only I didn't use one, I just blended the garlic tops and added in walnuts and olive oil and parmesan and salt until it tasted right. I also blended in some spinach with the scapes (that's what they are called apparently,) to mellow it out a little, and extend it, since spinach is still growing in abundance.
I cooked it a little too- since it was a wee bit spicy for my boy, but once it had cooked just a minute or two it was just right. And delicious. We all enjoyed it, especially Ari who devoured several bowls full. I froze the rest in ice cube trays so it would be easy to use come winter. Oh how good it feels to start filling up the freezer with our own home-grown food. Ok. we didn't grow the walnuts or the olives or make the parmesan. But the green stuff? All ours.ETA: thanks for all the lovely comments I've been getting lately, cheering on the homebirth dreams and just being supportive and sweet. There were a few questions about the bird cards in the last post- I got them at this shop in Canada, but if you're are looking for them elsewhere they are made by eeboo and should be pretty easy to find. They really are super sweet.
And no- I didn't knit the recently displayed sweaters- a wonderful great-aunt and the thrift shop supplied us with those. I aspire to being a sweater-knitter, but my skills are not quite there yet.
Happy Sunday!
Oh, garlic scapes. One of my new favorite seasonal foods. I made the pesto raw, but it was too spicy so I had to add an entire bag of basil. It's good now! I love them fried- the flavor reminds me of artichoke hearts. We added them to a lemon-cream pasta sauce recently... you know what? I'll just go blog about it.
ReplyDeleteWe've been doing pesto alot here and really loving it on the homemade pizzas with artichoke hearts and pinenuts. Slurp!
ReplyDelete