Sunday, May 31, 2009

food from the woods

I love my garden. I do. But nothing makes me happier than wandering into the forest and collecting my supper. I feel grateful for every nettle leaf, every precious mushroom. I pick them with a mindfulness I often forget to conger in the garden, and that is even more rare when I'm piling produce into my shopping cart. But here in the woods my heart is filled with thanks to the plants and the woods and all of this great creation.Each morel, cool and alive in my hand, is something to be cherished. I hold them out with glee to show my family, call excitedly when another one is found. Back home I lay out the mushrooms carefully to admire how strange and unique they each are.

I cook them simply (butter and garlic for the morels, a simple soup for the nettles,) and they become a feast. We eat them with gratitude and appreciation, exclaiming over the incredible flavours. After this glorious dinner, the preschooler wakes from sleep crying for more mushrooms. We understand. We cook the last ones up in the middle of the night and feed him at a table lit up by candlelight, our forest bounty served up like something holy.

10 comments:

  1. Those mushrooms look great and I agree, there is nothing better than foraging - although I wouldn't be brave enough to pick mushrooms! How do you manage not to get stung picking nettles? We were out all weekend in the countryside and we managed to get stung quite often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful morrels!
    And the nettles, alas, ours our all flowering now. Looking forward to seed collecting though.

    Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy indeed.
    I too enjoy collecting so many edible treasures in the woods! Your dinner sounds amazing, we found our first morel of the season just today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are like a work of art, all spread out in front of you. I am not good at all about identifying mushrooms, however I can't wait for our annual fungus festival this year, so as to aquire more know how. I believe this will be the third year, but the first time I will be able to participate, as I could never leave Jonas for longer than two hours before as he was nursing. It should be loads of fun, with workshops in identification, foraging, dying, growing, drawing/painting. You have inspired me even more. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What neat looking mushrooms, I'm sure we don't get mushrooms like that here. Aren't there so many wild and wonderful things to eat out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those mushrooms look glorious.
    I wish you were my mum! cooking in the middle of the night for your child.
    I can feel your reverence for your woods and their food.
    Beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Di- We wear gloves and long pants to pick the nettles- those stings are no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautifully said :^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. they looks so pretty and you can eat them,cool

    ReplyDelete