Tuesday, June 23, 2009

new sand

This is our newest completed project. A sandpit for the kiddos from wood rounds. These pictures are from last week- Papa P. had shovelled in some sand after the boys were in bed, so it had to be played in straight away, before getting out of PJ's or eating a proper breakfast. Since then we've added more sand and had a bunch of kids over to break it in. The kids love it a lot.

Mmm. Nothing like a mouthful of sand before breakfast. He's not quite ready for the sand pit yet, clearly. If it wasn't for the sand eating though, it would make a great playpen. And, while we are looking at this photo, I'll do a quick craft catch up and say that his hat is the pilot cap from the little turtle knits pattern. Knit in a really soft alpaca I got locally, but way too small. He is clearly more toddler-sized than infant. I have some brown alpaca that I plan to take with me on our upcoming trip to knit up a larger size with the same pattern because I love the shape and he can't pull it off his head which is a big plus. Alright. Back to the sandbox.


We planned to have the sand covering up the landscape fabric, but realized we didn't want it nearly as full as we thought once we got the sand in there. So it sticks up and is ugly. Maybe we'll do something about it. More likely we'll not get around to it and it will just get dirty and start blending in with the sand more. None of the kids complained about the aesthetic.
I also went to the Sally Ann and got a bunch of metal kitchen tools- ladle, spoons, a pie plate, a bowl, for a dollar and this has meant there has been a lot of culinary masterpieces being created around here. The pies get made in the sandpit, and then carted over to the straw bale play house (which I have been meaning to post about since we sort of won it last fall... I will soon...) to be cooked and then brought back to be served up to all the customers. And D. could tell you just how tasty they are.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like fun! I loved my sandbox when I was a kid. Please do show us the straw bale house. I can't wait to see it!! Cute hat (and boys) too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks so beautiful and fun! And it doubles for fun balancing on the wood rounds : ) The Waldorf school near us has one similar, so pretty. I would love to see the strawbale house!!! It sounds super cool at your place : )

    ReplyDelete