Wednesday, August 19, 2009

free to a good home:rainbow

As I mentioned earlier, I have been working on a lot of projects for the new adventure- the preschool/playgroup I'm starting this fall. I was thinking through various traditions and rituals I wanted to create for the children and I figured a birthday tradition would be rather important. And since two of the children have autumn birthdays I knew I should have this planned and ready to go.

Birthday crowns have become an important tradition in our household, so this was an obvious first step. And thought it isn't particularly Enki, I do love the rainbow bridge story that is told in the Waldorf tradition, so a rainbow crown seemed appropriate. I searched etsy for rainbow felt and found none, so with Nicole's recent tutorial in mind, and finding myself with an empty house (save from a baby asleep on my back,) I decided to try to make my own. I cut some white felt using the crown pattern I made for Ari's birthday crown years ago, this time just one solid piece instead of several. I cut out two since this was an experiment.
I mixed up the colours from what I had on hand- a few Koolaid packets (from other dying projects, not drinking!) and some food colour. I considered steaming the felt in between each colour, but I knew time was tight so I risked them all bleeding into each other and just painted them on all at the same time. I did a silk I had on hand at the same time.
I couldn't remember how long Nicole had steamed her yarn for (and didn't have the computer on during this crafting blitz) so I faked it- probably about 10 minutes for each piece. I was worried about the colours running when I rinsed them, but no colour came out at all so I didn't even bother rinsing the others.They looked so pretty drying in the wind.
I backed the crowns with a layer of white felt and blanket stitched them together with some yummy blue linen from my stash for the elastic at the back. I was so excited that the experiment turned out.
It looks rather big on my model, though it does fit his head fine. I can squeeze it on my head too, so we'll call it one-size-fits-all. And since I made two- I will give one of these away. Just leave a comment on this post and I'll draw a name sometime next week.
Good luck!

41 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! You did a fabulous job. I would give the second one a very good home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they came out beautiful! I love the rainbow dyeing :) Thanks for the mention, too!

    Count us in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely!!! Would love to be considered in the drawing!

    Forrest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charming boy and crown! I found you via Nicole and have enjoyed your archives -- your home looks so warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, forgot to sign my name. :0

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, what a terrifically clever idea! i'd love to win this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet and perfect! I'm glad I found your blog.:) Awesome tutorial too, I've always wondered how to make the crown fit more than one head. Covering the elastic is a solution I hadn't come up with yet. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did such a beautiful job. The sweetest! Peace and love. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely tradition! I need to remember that one - we'd love to win the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are beautiful! We love rainbows in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my goodness, what a lovely crown! and rainbow, no less! my daughter would absolutely love this. :) thanks for the giveaway! here's hoping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! So pretty! My little one's first birthday is fast approaching and thus she is in need of birthday crown, this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely! I love rainbow. This crown would match Leif's new rainbow padrigs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great crown!!!! I love the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops, Greg is actually me, Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! Just came here through Annie's site, I will put my name in the draw :)
    Very sweet, the colors turned out lovely and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful crown, for a beautiful baby. My little one would adore the second.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous babe and accessory : )

    Sarah J

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tai the crowns and silk are *incredible* I am truly impressed by your handwork!! I never would have thought to make a crown in this way, I love love that it is all hand done, the rainbow itself and the blanket stitch edging is really gorgeous! This is inspiring, and of course your 'model' is too cute! : ) Thank you for the chance at this generous give away, we would love to have such a play inspiring crown at our house!
    Warmly,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  20. beautiful! I would love to win this for my baby's first birthday (and many to follow!)
    iginger@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. delurking~
    what a pretty rainbow crown! My wee three would love this crown. . .also, I am anxious to try this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A wonderful crown! We have two autumn birthdays too! Your blog is inspiring and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this!! This would be fabulous to do with my daughters class at school!

    ReplyDelete
  24. so beautiful .. wonderful blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. my forth baby will be one in October - I'm sure the crown would make her day. Her her 3 year old sister's day too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, great work taimarie! the colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh please count me in! Just lovely!!! That chubby little smile has got me... gasp!

    ReplyDelete
  28. They turned out so beautiful!

    I've not had time for keeping up with blogs lately, but was in desperate need of some down time and inspiration tonight. Catching up here really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  29. super! and made with love. i know some one (or 3) who would love to wear it. so please count us in!

    ReplyDelete
  30. cutelittlethingAugust 25, 2009

    this came out just beautiful! My daughter would go crazy for this. I found you via waldorf_craft group
    and will return often.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous! Please enter me in the drawing.
    iluvchrisnlevi@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Here's hoping! They came out gorgeous!

    Err...if I don't win...*totally* stealing your idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Leslie bush momtobushbabies@aol.comAugust 25, 2009

    What a WONDERFUL JOB! This has inspired me to start this tradition with my 4 children. Looks like another fun project for all of us to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love those crowns. I'll have to try some rainbow dying. Please enter me into the draw.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'd love to have a crown for my new little niece. Yours is the most beautiful crown I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  36. They are lovely, thanks for the tutorial! I'm insprired!
    Susan in AK

    ReplyDelete
  37. hi! it HAS been a while... (i'll respond more to your email later)

    this is truly beautiful...your blanket stitch is just sososo perfect. and i, too, love the idea of a rainbow crown...we use the rainbow bridge story at our birthdays at the preschool too and i just never would have thought of a crown to match. well done.

    (now you've also got me thinking about "painting" wool projects with the kids)

    ReplyDelete
  38. So pretty! My daughter's been wanting a new crown - probably part of her moving on to Kindergarten! I love the picture you have of the corn shucking and the knight's mask in the background! Cool!
    Kris
    luna77777@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh wow!!! I absolutely looove the crown. The colours are magical and I can't help but thinking how it would look on my little girls head as she turns one year old ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  40. cool! can you make one to fit my head? BTW-i've got a very big head.

    ReplyDelete
  41. too cute- sorry i missed it!

    ReplyDelete