Thursday, January 21, 2010

beebee baby

I think I will continue with the small wonders project for a bit- I am finding it a helpful exercise, and appropriate for where I am at right now. But I am going to pop in some catch-up posts too that are backed up from the holiday season. Mostly it is the handmade solstice gifts that I really would like to record. This one is Dorian's gift from me. I had big plans of having a doll like Ari's Sammy, with all the trimmings- clothes, sweater, full head of hair- maybe a set of PJ's to match the ones I was going to make the boys. I also had two other doll commissions and had hoped to make another doll for the preschool. What we got was this little sweater dolly.



The pattern is from the winter 09 issue of living crafts and came at the time when I was beginning to realize I was in way over my head with my doll making and general gift making plans. I was able to sew up this one and one other- for our dear friend's little boy, make up for the fact that there wouldn't be a dress up doll for him either- over a couple days, with lots of hand sewing while the kids were playing around me which fits into my life so much easier than extended sessions at sewing machine these days.

It isn't a Sammy-doll but this little dolly is just fine. It is snugly and soft and a much more appropriate size for a toddler. I am happy with how it turned out and tucking it in each night beside my baby feels just as good as if it were the more elaborate doll I had hope to make. It is mama made and full of love and that is what matters. He'll get that dress up doll someday (and maybe some PJ's too...) but for now he loves his little "BeeBee."



5 comments:

  1. I love the dolly- the soft green and gray are perfect! I also love how you make your faces- I have been admiring Sammy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beebee is lovely Tai. and looks so cuddley too...it's such a gift to our children that they can watch us creating their toys for them...continue doing your beautiful work. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a sweet soft and soothing looking new friend for your little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beebee looks so sweet and soft, and I bet rather kissed by now too...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, this is very very sweet.

    ReplyDelete