
:: getting tricky!::
Lots of playing outside this weekend, though I have to admit to not having participated much- it was a school work cramming sort of weekend for me. Actually a nice change of pace for me after lots of busy-with-kids days.
This past week I also finished W's quilt and slipped into their house (with the house sitters consent of course!) to put it on her bed. We knew they were hoping to come home for a few days if her counts were high enough and they did make it, and apparently she is quite excited about her new blankie. Lots of love went into this- the squares are each so lovely and have a lot of meaning for W and her family.
I learned so much putting it together. I was amazed when I sewed it together and it was actually square- glory be! I was on a bit of quilting high and went straight to sewing a log cabin cushion for my mom's birthday- which I realize I didn't photograph before giving it to her. But it was so fun to make. I think I could really get hooked!
This past week I also finished W's quilt and slipped into their house (with the house sitters consent of course!) to put it on her bed. We knew they were hoping to come home for a few days if her counts were high enough and they did make it, and apparently she is quite excited about her new blankie. Lots of love went into this- the squares are each so lovely and have a lot of meaning for W and her family.
I learned so much putting it together. I was amazed when I sewed it together and it was actually square- glory be! I was on a bit of quilting high and went straight to sewing a log cabin cushion for my mom's birthday- which I realize I didn't photograph before giving it to her. But it was so fun to make. I think I could really get hooked!I was finishing the quilt on a Sunday, and realized that I didn't have enough backing fabric to finish it. With the stores closed and Perry off with the boys in the car I was in a bit of a panic since I really wanted to get it done for their trip home. I remembered seeing Mary Beth's quilt recently and the lovely patchwork strip she sewed into the back. I had scraps from everyone's pieces left from making the patchwork "W" in the centre- thankfully enough to make two such strips- and was able to finish it. I quite like how it looks like that and was able to get it done before the boys returned. Thanks Mary Beth!
ETA: I realized that it might not be clear that I did not make this quilt myself- each square was made by a different friend of W and her family. Fabric choices, basic design decisions etc was all made by the group. My square is on the bottom left corner- trees and a bird. I just had the job of sewing it all together!
A picture from the boy's hike with Papa- they are really enjoying their weekend excursions together. I look forward to a time when we are able to do more family outings on the weekends, but right now this is working for us. A little time in a quiet house is quite a blessing these days!
I hope everyone had a beautiful weekend!
A picture from the boy's hike with Papa- they are really enjoying their weekend excursions together. I look forward to a time when we are able to do more family outings on the weekends, but right now this is working for us. A little time in a quiet house is quite a blessing these days!
I hope everyone had a beautiful weekend!
You are welcome for the patchwork strip inspiration, Taimarie. Your quilt is lovely and I do hope that little W enjoys it and it comforts her in some way. So happy her counts are up--I remember long stretches when Rainer was stuck in the hospital getting transfusions just to have his counts drop again. Your little friend will surely enjoy a break from the hospital.
ReplyDeleteWow! Ari's so brave!
ReplyDeleteThe quilt is beautiful and oh my, the meaning behind it and the secreting in the house before they got home... Wonderful and touching.
Oh, what a beautiful quilt. Hope it brings lots of love and light to that little one.
ReplyDeleteYour quilt is beautiful! And such a lovely gift too :)
ReplyDelete