Wednesday, September 29, 2010

apples apples applesauce

This season is the time of apples. Climbing trees and dropping down the fruit for little hands to collect, the steamy scent of apples cooking on the stove, stumbling over boxes and baskets of fruit in the front porch, the recipes we talk about- apple cake, apple pie, apple sauce, apple cider, baked apples, apple muffins, apple cobbler. We eat them raw, sliced, dunked in yogurt dip. They are snacked on whole, often forgotten and found half eaten and browning somewhere in the house. Apples are fun to play with , they roll and they sit upright, standing in for hay bales on a wooden tractor and apple soup in a little pot in the play kitchen. Apples are the perfect fruit- sweet, local, crisp, delicious. Apples are autumn.

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I can just smell that steamy apple smell as you grind them up!
    We're enjoying apples here too- I have Oct.17 marked on my calendar- it's the day a local IPM orchard has "truck day" where you can bring home a truckload of drops for 50 dollars! This is when we do our applesauce. :)
    Your boys are like mine- all the tractor play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Melanie! That sounds amazing! We don't have any real orchards here, just lots of trees around to glean from. But a whole truckload- that is a lot of applesauce! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, we go with friends and split the truckload! We make tons of sauce- last year I believe it was around 70 quarts. I also freeze a bunch of apples as well, to use in recipes throughout the winter. We try and get good multi purpose ones like macs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got in ahead of me - I was going to post a photo of a freshly picked Bramley (cooking apple) on my blog, just entitled Autumn, nothing else!

    ReplyDelete