Thursday, April 28, 2011

these days




Catching up with photos from the week and weekend. There have been many lovely days with friends and family and busy days working on projects at home.
(thanks for the patten Melanie, I found myself with knitting basket of sock yarn ends while watching the kids play and no other knitting projects at hand- this was the perfect little project to keep my hands busy. And perfect to decorate the cottonwood branch on the nature table.)
The boys drew pictures for the Easter bunny and left the eggs we'd dyed out for the bunny to hide for them.


I had picked up some plastic eggs in town to set out for the Easter bunny to fill( not something I would usually do, but I picked them up on a whim, thinking we might have an egg hunt in the garden,) but on Easter eve I opened them and they smelled awful . I didn't think the Easter bunny would appreciate putting organic treats into an egg that smelled like new car upholstery, so I had to think quick. I spent the evening sewing little felt egg-shaped pockets for the treats to fit in. I was quite pleased with the simple design, they held a couple jellybeans and sundrops well without them falling out- maybe I'll write up a tutorial sometime. Another reminder that cheap MIC junk is never worth it!


We went to visit a local farm to see some new baby goats. They boys were delighted to meet them all, and also to see the peacocks (and bring home some lovely feathers!) and to meet the tame deer that lives on the farm. I've never seen anything like it- it was rescued by humans as a baby and seems to thinks it is a dog (it even chases coyotes when the dogs chase them,) I don't know what will happen to it when it gets bigger- and possibly dangerous? but it was rather unnerving to be so close to a wild creature like that.

The most wonderful thing of all was the beautiful weather that melted most of our snow and had us outside digging in the dirt. It has turned chilly again, with lots of wind and cold rain/sleet, but just that bit of sun and garden time was enough to cheer us up.
.With this late cold spring we are having, every glimpse of green or hour of sunshine feels like medicine.
Happy thursday friends.

9 comments:

  1. such lovely photos...esp the one with your adorable child and the goat!!! love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Tai!
    So interesting about that wild deer. . . I wonder what will become of it? Was it male or female?
    I echo your sentiments on the plastic eggs. We've been talking with our children (mostly Ollie, as he's the animal lover) about the endangered animals of the ocean, and about how plastics are harming their environment and making them sick. When Easter came around it felt very hypocritical to use the plastic eggs we'd used in the past. Ollie himself said "we can't use plastic!" So I knitted a few instead. I'd love to see/hear more about your sewn felt ones- because we'll need more in the future.
    Oh, and I'm glad you made some of those egg decorations! Yay!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie- the deer is male, and still quite young. I'd imagine it is going to get a lot bigger than it is now. I hope his story doesn't end badly...
    And I thought of those knitted eggs you shared when I was trying to figure out what to do at 10:00 at night- but figured sewing was a little more possible. I'll try to take some better pictures of the eggs to share the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the felt egg pockets! So wonderful. I love also your painted eggs, they look beautiful. How interesting about the deer and I love the picture of the mountains. No mountains like that anywhere near us. love and hugs to you x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The felt pockets are adorable. Tutorial, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... I just love these cheery and fun photos!!! And your felt egg idea is brilliant...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an experience being so close to that deer!

    I'm with you on the plastic junk. I was in the dollar store buying a bit of needed fabric (the only place to buy it here) and was wavering on buying some plastic junky toy that Leif was so wanting. I just couldn't bring myself to do it and one of the reminders to me is the smell. The whole store seems to be off gassing junk plastic fumes! I'm so glad you were able to make your own little eggs. Sometimes my best work is done the night before it's needed!

    It's look cold over in your part of the world but definitely spring looks to be showing it's face! Warmer days are nearing! Have you noticed the sun shining earlier and later already? I'm thinking I need to put up our darker window curtains soon, so we sleep longer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might be seeing it incorrectly, but it looks like one of the eggs in your basket has little sprinkles drawn all over -- I love it! That and the wool eggs on your tree. The only thing better than real eggs. :) +Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright, tutorial it is!
    Annie- yuck- I'm sure those stores must be offgassing. Another good reason to avoid them (funny that they carry fabric in yours!) And yes, we've noticed the light. We just invested in blackout blinds which have made a difference. I'm hoping we might actually sleep this summer!
    Chelsea- Ya, that was Perry's sprinkle egg!

    ReplyDelete