Tuesday, May 31, 2011

inside and out

outside :planting peas
The last few days have been full of sun and thunderstorms. Today we were out in the garden for most of the day, and yesterday we were out until the storms came. There were storms on and off all day, and we just followed the weather.



::lunch at the picnic tables::
::inside- making humpty dumpty hard boiled eggs for breakfast::
::inside: building and building and building::

::outside working in the garden- readying the beds::
::planting perennials from the local plant sale (where you have to stand behind a rope and when the bell rings, run in and grab what you can!::

::inside for some storm watching::




::Dorian pretended he was sleeping. He wanted me to sing him lullabies. I squeezed a little knitting in::
::and back out again for some gardening and mud play- working in a "mud factory"::
:: and making "stone soup"::


It is bliss, this warm weather- we just can't get enough after all the rain and cold. It is finally dry enough to dig and plant, so we are working hard to get the beds ready and planted. I am amazed by how much I can get done with the kids now, they are so happy to help or to go off and play. Today I double dug one big bed (and have the sore back and blisters to prove it!) and planted peas, lettuce, pac choi, and spinach, transplanted flowers and strawberries, and weeded lots. There is so much more to do out there, it is hard to do anything but garden right now. We've been eating such simple quick meals, not wanting to spend much time cooking. Our new favorite snack is homemade creamsicles- blended fruit and kefir or yogurt and cultured cream. These have enough fuel to last the kiddos a while so I can keep on digging!



I hope this lovely weather has reached you all. Happy Tuesday!

ps is anyone else having trouble leaving comments on blogger blogs? I guess you can't tell me in the comments if you are :) I can't leave any right now- not sure why...

4 comments:

  1. What a fun day! Thunderstorms are so much more exciting for the kids than the regular rain storms we get on the "wet coast"!
    I also had troubles posting a comment earlier. Let's see if this one goes through?!
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tai I love this entire post, but my favorite part is Dori pretending to sleep, with you singing and knitting!

    I had trouble leaving blogger comments for a while the other day too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joey and Melanie. Thunderstorms are so very exciting! I tried posting on both of your blogs and was not able to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to be able to have more done with the girls helping or playing happily nearby. It is such a great feeling to see everybody happy outside in the garden!!

    ReplyDelete