Monday, May 16, 2011

weekend: sun and raspberry canes




We had such a glorious productive weekend. The sun shone and it was so wonderfully warm and we were outside working and playing all weekend long. I took the kids in for quiet time but they were so desperate to get back inside that Ari decided taking some toys out to play quietly would be a good compromise. I found him a little while later, having dragged out our picnic blanket and several loads of toys to the other side of the yard near where Perry was working. He played happily with his gnome house for awhile, until other exciting outside tasks drew him away.
We were working on a few projects- digging up and replanting some raspberry canes, cleaning and painting the chicken house, shoveling compost and llama poo. Ari dove into the role of "farmer boy" (not a Laura Ingalls reference as he has not been introduced to these books yet, just a good name for a boy who works on a farm!) and worked steadily on planting the raspberry canes- digging the holes, adding in the manure, choosing a cane, putting it in carefully in the soil. I am amazed at his focus and concentration and how amazingly helpful he is these days. Of course he has times of running around screeching like a banshee to balance out all that focused concentration, like any good five year old should!
These moments of all of us working together and actually getting things done is utter magic.



Dorian worked very hard on watering the canes after they were planted, moving down the row slowly with great concentration. He is so determined to do things himself these days, and sometimes it seems we can only just try and help him to do as little damage as possible. He is so proud to help though, and when I thank him he says "you're welcone" in his sweet little voice with such happiness and pride. He was completely soaked and the canes had to be properly watered once he was out of sight, but I appreciate his efforts!

Here is the composter Perry built last weekend, all loaded up and working its compost magic. There is a lid that is not-quite-done that should speed things along even faster.
And this is a view of our new-to-us garden. We have been getting to know it this spring, trying to make plans about where to plant what and how to make it our own. I am excited to have a little extra space to grow in, and and a small greenhouse to grow tomatoes in. The kids have been loving the little shade/play house at the back too. Today we spent some time together transplanting a bunch of strawberry plants in the beds around it for them to graze on this summer.
On Sunday night we had a campfire supper in our backyard and got the boys all ready for bed before we got back in the house. There was time for one gleeful swing on the barn swings in Pj's before bed.
The boys were so tired today after such a busy weekend. This afternoon they both fell asleep- which never happens anymore- Ari fell asleep on the kitchen floor! We had a nice home-day full of home tasks: cooking and gardening and playing. There was even a moment of sitting and knitting in a quiet house when the boys were both asleep- bliss!



I made our weekly yogurt today, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to post the recipe that has been working for me. This makes three tall mason jars full which seems to be a good weekly amount for our family.






Homemade Yogurt






10 1/2 cups of milk



3 tbs good commercial yogurt



3 tall wide mouth mason jars



milk thermometer






Heat milk slowly in a large pot until it reaches 180 degrees F. It will be steaming but not boiling. Turn off heat and let cool in the pot, stirring whenever you think of it. The more you stir the less of a skin will form.
Add 1 Tbs of yogurt to each jar. When the milk reaches 110 degrees pour it into the jars. Stir and screw on lids. Let it rest in a warm place. I use my dehydrator which can hold the jars and keep them at 90 degrees, but the recipe I used suggested setting the jars on a hot pad or on top of your water heater. Keep jars warm for about 8 hours and then put them in the fridge and enjoy your yogurt cool the next day.



I hope your weekends were full and sunny and nourishing, friends.

9 comments:

  1. Oh I love this whole post. :)
    Ollie and Asa have also not been introduced to the Laura Ingalls Wilder books- I know Ollie would love them, but I do not believe Asa is old enough yet- and they get read to together before bed.
    Ari is really looking "five." He's got that real "kid look" you know what I mean? His head to body proportion and such- he just is looking older suddenly! Dori is always so cute and sweet- I really could grab those toes. . . and I love the image of him helping so happily like that!
    Your garden is going to be awesome! I look forward to seeing more!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working outside together as a family is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness - you live in such a beautiful place. Your boys are so lucky to have all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the yoghurt recipe! I needed that. Mine never comes out right in the yoghurt maker we bought...I think I will try your method!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie- I am waiting on the Wilder books too- I loved them so much, but I think Ari is too young too. He is looking big though isn't he? And yes, Dori's toes are pretty yummy!
    Catherine- I know! It is the best.
    Julia- Thank you. We love it so.
    Joy- Great! I hope it works for you, we have been loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe~ I am excited to try it! It sure looks like you guys have had some super productive and fun days! I love all the photos of your life up there with your cute boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! Spring is here for you guys, hey? You have such a great space to work in. I can't wait to see how your garden grows. Your family is so wonderful!



    (I was wondering about your last post? I have a copy of it in my reader if you want me to email it to you?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, i love the mountains in the distance behind your garden- breathtakingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara- Thanks- and I hope that recipe works for you- let me know!
    Annie- oh, yes please! I didn't know copies of the old post could exist- I'll send you and e-mail.
    Stacey- thanks, we do love our view! Your new place looks lovely too.

    ReplyDelete