Sunday, August 28, 2011

today, the rain.

(unrelated photos from a walk on our property when the sun was briefly out.) 
I have a bunch of pictures to share from the fair we attended this weekend, but I am not in the mood today- maybe I'll post them tomorrow. I have been feeling pretty melancholic the last few days. Like many Canadians, the news of Jack Layton's passing hit me with unexpected emotion and sadness. The sense of loss feels surprisingly personal, considering I never met him myself. Yet his death made me realize that I had a great deal of hope resting in him- in his authenticity and honest striving to make real and profound change. I am inspired by the outpouring of love and emotion, and I'm trying like many, to turn the hope I had resting in him, towards the changes we all need to make together. That would be a legacy he would have been overjoyed with.

Totally unrelated, but also occupying a good deal of my thoughts is my dear oldest boy. He has been struggling a fair bit lately, and after an (amazing!) phone consultation with Beth Sutton (Enki founder) we decided to get some tests done, including allergy testing. The dear sweet boy is apparently sensitive to darn near everything we eat, and I am reeling a bit. We take food pretty seriously in our house. We cook from scratch and source things locally whenever we can. We grow a garden and raise chickens and get to know the farmers whose food we purchase. We make much of our own bread and baking from local wheat, make our own yogurt and cheese and kefir from pastured goat or cow milk and raise our own chickens for eggs. And now, my dear boy cannot eat most of that food. I am feeling so sad and confused about this.

Why is his sweet little body developing panic responses to the foods that should be nourishing him? And how can I ensure we are all well nourished on a diet that excludes many of the most nourishing foods available to us? I don't want to rely on ready made foods shipped from far away when we can get much healthier local alternative and make things ourselves. Yet, on the other side, I  look forward to seeing how he feels without being exposed to these foods that have been troubling him. I am just beginning to research it all, but I do have some hope that there might be therapies or diets out there that could help him heal and get strong and to outgrow these allergies altogether. For now I just need to give it a bit of time to figure out, and to read and figure out the next step. For now we are all cutting out these foods and replacing them with whatever we can purchase from our local health foods store. My body is  not enjoying the change to an essentially vegan diet (with a bit of meat thrown in!) I am reminded of how I felt as a vegan- not great!

Today Perry took the boys to a new and exciting pool in a neighbouring town and I turned up my most melancholic music and spent the day cleaning and organizing and moving things around. It felt like the right thing to be doing on a cold and rainy sunday when my head was full of thoughts to think. One thing I do know, putting my physical space in order is a surefire way to lift my spirits.
good night friends.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, this is hard... It was the same for me when we had our farm... It's one of the reason we sold it. I could not digest our amazing raw milk from our pasture-fed cow, nor our pastured eggs... On a raw vegan diet, most of my symptoms are gone, but I dearly miss those food... Good luck with this and keep us posted. Have you looked into the GAPS diet? I know it did it for many. I tried it and it didn't work for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you traveled to India to,, after being there it bring many changes of how we live our lives - with much appreciation.

    What allergies does your son have? is he just a finicky eater or he is reacting. My eldest really didn't like food for a long time. I find that if they have anything with sugar they eat less food. I also try not to give bread because then they prefer that to all else. My boys mostly eat fruits picked from our farm, they hardly get sick. I will make them shakes with yogurt, raw egg, honey and nut butter for added nutrients. We slightly cook good quality organic meat, they prefer raw carrots to cooked. Sometimes they just won't eat,, but I think that is ok..but I won't try to fill them up with bread, they usually take some plain yogurt with honey or bananas/fruit. I like the nourishing traditions book by nancy fallon. Be aware I have many vegan friends that went back to eating meat,, their children became sick, and many grew weak and some have health problems now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine- Oh, sorry to hear that- yes, I was just looking at the gaps diet and I am thinking about giving it a try if the other things we are going to try don't work- but I'm hoping there are some answers that are not so difficult to implement first!

    earthboys-Oh, he is certainly not a picky eater- he loves food and chooses very healthy food for himself. It sounds like our families eat quite similarly. But now it seems he is allergic (with plenty of symptoms) to every food you mentioned (besides carrots and meat!)and many others. I don't want him to be vegan, I want him to be able to eat our chicken's eggs and our homemade yogurt! But these good foods are making him sick. It is very difficult to know what is best for him right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart goes out to you right now (I would have chosen the same cleaning therapy that you did!). We have been dealing with allergies and food sensitivities for about 20 years. Know that many have come and gone so this situation may not be permanent! We've done a ton of reading so please if you have any questions that you can't find answers for or just need someone to talk it out with I would be happy to be that person!
    hugs,
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Joey- I'll pm you- it would be nice to chat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taimarie...I sympathize with your food dilemmas that are facing you. Often, in the beginning, they seem insurmountable, but slowly, little by little, you'll make headway! I'm sure of it! (I'm sorry if it sounds so trite in words, but I mean it with a great big hug and lots of compassion). We have had our world turned upside down, shaken all over, and thrown about these last 8 months. And I look back at how we managed, and I see how far we've come. Yes, there is a very long road ahead, but we have come so far. My oldest son has terrible eczema on his legs and it is a challenge. Anyhow, so much I'd love to share and chat about. Yes, we are with Self-Design. Thursday is the day i was thinking about, too, for the home-grown schooling check-in idea thing. Maybe we can email. alittlecraftynest@gmail.com
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jules, Thanks so much for the note, I will e-mail you to chat. And yes, I know we will figure it out. Today I made carob wheat-free, sugar free, egg free, dairy free cupcakes for Ari to bring to a birthday party. And they are actually good!

    ReplyDelete