Thursday, September 08, 2011
learning at home
So there it is. He is a homeschooler. We are homeschoolers. It has been a bit of a journey to get here, to the place where we knew this was right for our family. I have been interested in alternative education for a long time, and knew, while I was in university working on my undergrad and then my teachers certificate, that I would not be teaching in the public system. But I always imagined I would be a teacher at an alternative school. I thought I would be part of starting one in our little town. And when I had kids, I thought, they would be part of this little school we would start. But somehow I have a school aged kid and there is no little school. Not yet anyway. Maybe someday. But starting a school is no small feat, and it isn't something I could take on alone. And when it comes right down to it, I don't want to send my kids off anywhere just yet, even the perfect little school.
It is good, I think- this choice we made. It is just the right one for us right now. Someday there likely will be other choices to be made, but for now we will be doing our learning at home, right where we all love to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Such a beautiful post! I wish more families would be walking the same path!
ReplyDeleteOh Tai, this is one of the most beautiful and truly moving posts I have ever read about beginning the journey that is homeschooling, We started back to more formal home learning this week and it really is wonderful, isn't it? Even with all the ups and downs.
ReplyDeleteYour home always looks so warm and cozy and your photos always capture the love you have for your family.
Taisa...I just love all you've written and have nodded my head in agreement many times. Beautiful. And your bookshelf is so similar to mine (minus the Enki of course). I look forward to sharing more with you, and becoming part of that village ~ afterall, we are in the same part of Canada! I'm happy to have found you:)
ReplyDeletexo Jules
It is indeed a wonderful and exciting journey to begin. We are also a homeschooling family and loving it! Love your blog! Beautiful post! Best wishes!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much everyone for your kinds words!
ReplyDeleteCatherine- Thanks. I wish I knew more families that are homeschooling. I am hoping that I can track some down this year!
Saraelise- Thanks, it is wonderful. And seeing what you all get up to in your home and your homeschooling is always inspiring.
Jules- oh, so glad we can be part of this village together, and I look forward to sharing more too. Now if only you were close enough to come over for a cup of tea...
Sarah- Thanks for visiting!
Beautiful, wonderful and magical. So inspiring Mama. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteSuch a lovely post. Just looking at your photos, I feel like your children are getting such warmth from their home - I can't imagine that any school would provide a better path for learning and discovery. You're all going to have so much fun with this, I'm sure!
ReplyDeleteTaisa, what a beautiful post! You so eloquently speak to my feelings and experiences as a home schooling family!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you, and to be a part of your journey. Much love to you~ Mel
PS ah yes, knitting in your hands while you sit with the children! What could be better? :)
Hi Tai,
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through a comment you posted on earthboys blog and it's so funny coz i found that last blot through a comment on my good friend cath from catherine et les fées's blog!!! how the world is small as i see cath follows your blog too in this comment space :o)
anyways, i realy like this post and the photos are just beautifull!
i will be coming by again!
you know, it's funny, you said you wanted to open this alternative school, that's exactly what i'm doing with some friends of mine in Montreal, we are working like crazy on this... so everything is possible! :o) if you want to have a peak at our project: www.ecolealternativepsc.com it will be a school based on contact with nature!
looking forward to reading you,
take care,
joanna