I am getting behind in posting here- we had a couple nice days after a stretch of cold rainy days (some snow even! ak!) and we were busy trying to get more of the garden planted. But during the rain and wind and snow I was able to get some organizing and cleaning done in my craft nook- still much more to do, but at least I can walk from one end to the other without being at risk of injury. I have been sewing a little up there- I made myself a quick "bum warmer" skirt inspired by the wonderful Melody while the snow was flying the other night, though I have no photos of that, and making crayon rolls for next years home school supplies, though I don't have pictures of those either. I do have pictures of the shorts I made Ari for his birthday though.
I had a little chat with him a week and a half before his birthday about the sweater he had asked me to make for him. I had finally come to realize that having the sweater ready by his birthday was beyond even my wildest illusions of knitting grandeur, seeing that I was not even done the swatch at that point. I told him I could certainly have the sweater for him before autumn came, but I really couldn't have it done by his birthday. He was okay with it, so long as I made him that sweater sometime- but what he really needed me to make him was some volcano pants. I was so glad that he was okay with the loss of the birthday sweater I didn't really think about what exactly a pair of volcano pants might look like. I put those off too (the craft nook was still dangerous at that point and I was feeling uninspired about entering it for any reason,) until the day before his birthday and then I set to work and came up with these short troosers.
Cute huh? I rather like them. And Ari likes them too.
I was glad to find that, six years in, mama-made garments are still magic- they make the recipient extra fast. He is speeeedy in these shorts, as you can see. It is rather difficult to get a good picture of him, since he is really just a blur. But he is a happy blur, so all is well with the sweater-less birthday boy.
They are made with a denim-ish sort of fabric, with red linen bits, and the volcano is freezer-paper-stenciled on. It hasn't been warm enough for their outdoor debut, but Ari has plans for blasting off with his volcano shorts this summer. Phew. Glad it all worked out. Next year I am starting the spring birthday projects mid-winter- really I am.
Its back to raining out there now, though I feel different about the rain when it is landing on the little seeds in the garden. The boys are busy with their Nana and Grandpa who are in town and we are trying to dream up some more rainy day activities. It might be time to pull on the gum boots and get out in it!
I hope you are all dry and warm where you are, friends!








I LOVE the volcano pants!
ReplyDeleteVery cute shorts! Nice job!
ReplyDeleteOh I really really wish I could sew! I even have a sewing machine waiting for me to take the plunge. I just always find excuses to not sit down and actually learn. I love the idea of the "bum" skirt, I think it would be very useful up here too. By the way, I see they have removed the tales from the green valley from you tube! I thought of your boys and how much they will miss it, such a shame!
ReplyDeletePerfect volcano pants!
ReplyDelete