Sunday, February 04, 2007

prayer. beads.














Dear Ari,
Today is your nine month birthday. This seems such a short time and yet I can't believe that this much time has passed already. I realize how fast this growing up thing really is going to happen. As I was writing those words you called out in your sleep and I picked you up and rocked you and nursed you and you fell back asleep in my arms. This time feels so precious.

At nine moths you are so busy with things. Learning constantly and continually on the move. These are some things you do these days:














You love to pull yourself up to the tea shelf (gurgling and chattering all the way,) and to dump all the boxes onto the floor. You crawl quite quickly now, but with one leg only half bent - we call it the pirate crawl- that wooden leg. You squeal and crawl away laughing when we "chase" you to give you kisses, sometimes just rolling onto your back letting us get your belly and under your chin. You love to snuggle and when you cozy up I often say "cozycozycozy" or "sooo nice" and you make the sweetest sound, a contented little "ohhh."

These days you will explore the house out of my view but come back when I call "where's my baby?" crawling around the corner looking relieved and happy to see me. You find the tiniest things on the ground and put them promptly into your mouth. You love using your finger and thumb to pick things up lately which makes for more fun in the food eating department, but no matter how much I sweep you manage to find tiny pieces of bark that have gotten in from the woodbox and bits of fluff and teeny fabric scraps.














You are enjoying food more, although you still nurse lots and lots (and lots...) you have just discovered rice puffs and this has extended the dinner hour for your Papa and I as you are happy to play with and eat these little snacks, giving each one your full attention. Tonight you had steamed carrot bits and rice pasta. Your favorites are smushed blueberries and peas. Most new foods make you squinch up your face and shiver. You will then often ask for more.













Although you are noticing and protesting more and more when I leave the room, you still have not "made strange." You will put your arms out to anyone with a fancy necklace or a pair of glasses. You'll let pretty much anyone cart you around so long as it is not near bedtime.

But you love your Papa best of all (mama is almost still a part of you and doesn't count yet in this regard.) You make this cute little shout when you want his attention or if there is something interesting you think he should see. It is like "hey Papa, you have got to check this out!" You love to go on walks with him and read books and to dance. And he can get you to eat when I can't. But you wont let anyone else but me put you to sleep. Someday. I'll happily hoard the cuddles so long as they are needed.

3 comments:

  1. well the post is just so cute.... i just loved to know about the baby.... and surely the photos are so sweet and beautiful.... u can drop by My Blog sometimes too and have a glimpse of something u may find interesting...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack was that way as a tiny, with the picking up the tiniest of bits of fluff and stuff and putting them in his mouth. He still loves tiny things, and will carry around the smallest "treasures" he can find. (And, he is absolutely convinced his name is "the baby"!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, baby prayer beads! you take the best photos. i love the padraig one on your banner.

    ReplyDelete