One of my favorite parts of being a mom-at-home is spending time outside with my little guy. Ari loves to wander around the farm, and our walks are a big part of the rhythm of the days. With the season change we were having a hard time staying with this ritual, as the mud and slush and general yuckiness was making it hard for Ari to walk, and for me to be inspired about being out and about with him. But now that the snow is here to stay, we are back in the groove and loving our outside time. Once the dreaded bundling is complete, we head out the door singing our going-for-a-walk-song. Our rhythms are greatly inspired by the Enki idea of singing through transitions- and it works so well!Ari leads the way, usually straight to the chicken house, where he calls out "egg, egg, egg!" until I open the gate. We usually end up following the cats around for awhile- there are two frisky young ones who like to race up and down trees and leap around and keep Ari giggling. Once he's tired of walking we go and get the sled and the blanket and bundle him in (he loves that part!) and we are off.
And I love this part. I pull him down the driveway and into the forest and we watch the birds ("deedeedee" he calls out to the chickadees,) and listen to the creak running under the ice and test out all the echos by calling out our names. I see things differently with him, the beauty seems clearer and deeper when he is the one pointing it out, and he keeps me out of my head and right there with him. Today he kept pointing at the trees saying "moonstar!" and he was right, the ice crystals on the branches looked just like the sparkling night sky.
Once we are both tired out we head inside for lunch (after kissing those sweet red cheeks- no photoshop there, that rosy cuteness is all his own,) and then I take the dozy boy to bed. Because all that fresh air makes a baby tired. That's the idea anyway.
What a lovely post and such a nice experience for you to share with us! Ari really does look as if he is enjoying it! It is always good to get outside during daylight hours in the winter! It's getting harder here as it is dark till about 730am and dark again by 4pm.
ReplyDeleteI love your sleigh blanket! We have that same sled, but the handle broke off a long time ago so it has a rope going through it now. Can you direct me to the pattern for the hat? Please and thank you ;o)
ReplyDeleteHi melissa- This hat is a free pattern from hello yarns that you can find here- http://www.helloyarn.com/gnomeyhat.pdf it is so simple and quick to knit up and we get comments on its cuteness everywhere we go!
ReplyDeleteGreat! I'll print that out and try to squeeze one in sometime soon. Thanks so much ;o)
ReplyDeleteOh, he is so adorable, and what a lovely daily tradition you have. I love how you talk about staying present in the moment. Our little ones do have a way of pulling us back into reality. Lovely post and lovely winter weather you are having there.
ReplyDeleteI need to channel this energy from you so I can get excited about spending time with Ivo in the cold and snow. That photo of Ari in the sleigh is priceless.
ReplyDeleteAri is so adorable with his rosy cheeks all bundled up. The yarn for the hat is gorgeous - I wish I could knit or crochet just so I could make something with that yarn. I see in an earlier post you tried wet-on-wet watercolor - I am trying to find info on that on the web but haven't had any luck - I am thinking of getting a Waldorf book on it but are there other sources of info? Do you need one of those boards or can you just work on a hard flat surface - like a kitchen table. And where did you get your paint? I saw some online much more reasonbly priced than the Stockmar ones - is there really a difference? Sorry for the bombardment of questions - I've been scratching my head on this for awhile now.
ReplyDeleteHi Jennifer- I am certainly not a wet-on-wet expert but I'll try to answer your questions. I got the info from the Enki education materials, and they suggest Da vinci paint (their student brand as it is non-toxic)and a higher quality paper than the stockmar. I bought the stockmar paper and it really bumps up, so the expensive stuff would probably work better. I think the thing to really look for is the non-toxic paints as many watercolours have things in them that kids shouldn't be exposed to. And I think the painting board helps- we just found a board in a junk pile!
ReplyDeleteWhat a snug little elf! Your walks sound perfectly lovely.
ReplyDeletehttp://waitingforruby.typepad.com/