
It has mostly stayed pretty cool and rainy these days, and though it might not be our first choice of summer weather, the spinach loves it. Its is so bushy and tasty and growing some of the biggest leaves I've ever seen! My garden helper thought spinach picking was a rather fun task and wanted to keep all the "big ones" in his own basket.

After harvesting two huge bags baskets I set to work blanching and bagging it for winter, optimistically labeling a ton of bags. And all that spinach? 4 little freezer bags. It is hard to imagine how many enormous fields of spinach there must be in the world to keep us all fed with spanikopita and spinach soup. The 2 raised beds in our garden couldn't possibly provide enough for all the spinach this family eats. Especially since Ari has named spanikopita his very favorite food.

Oh well, there is still more to harvest, and we will be able to get at least one more crop of the green stuff before fall arrives. And with my eager helper, we should be able to manage a few more baggies for the freezer. 4 more at least.
Beautiful greens! I love the colour and Ari carrying that basket of spinach is a hoot!!
ReplyDeleteAmazing spinach!
ReplyDeleteI'm Greek, spanikopita is in my blood. I ate it in the woods at our fair this weekend.