Wednesday, June 10, 2009

summer pj's

My kids are in need of lightweight pants. A is fighting sunscreen with a vengence, and so can only leave the house fully covered. And baby D is just so fair I am scared he will burn with the slightest bit of sun.
I've been wanting to whip up a bunch of long pants from shirts and fabric I have around, but was getting frustrated with the tracing-an-existing-pair method I usually use. The fit is pretty hit and miss I find, at least with my rudimentary sewing skills. I liked the wide leg look of the Oliver + S pajama pattern I bought awhile back so I thought I'd try that instead. I decided to start by making some summer pajama bottoms for the boys to see if the fit would be good for regular pants too, and I am really pleased. Imagine, making something that actually fits!

Okay. So they don't really fit baby D. I made both pairs the same size (because, between you and me, they are wearing a lot of the same clothes and only have a few pounds between them... shhh. don't tell.) but really D's could have been a lot smaller. Though I suspect he will be fitting them just right in no time.

So for my own personal records, but to no interest to anyone else, these are size 2 with slightly shorter legs and no leg cuffs. A's are in a retro rocket ship pattern (which he adores, and gave me kisses for,) and are finished with red bias tape. D's are in a little puppy print and have rolled hems. The waistbands are just in the same fabric as the pants but I want to play with contrasting fabrics next time. So I will try size 2 with full length leg for A (these are a wee bit short,) and 18 month for D and see how that goes. And I can't wait to try the kimono-style top too. I'm already planning in my head the Christmas pajama's I will make with this pattern. You know, me and my super organized, plan ahead and get things done ahead of time sort of style. Ha. But just popping over to the Oliver +S site to grab the link makes me want to make all my kids clothes. I mean, wouldn't my boys look so sweet in this outfit?

Oh my. I'd better start knocking things off my crafting to-do list and figure out how to fit more sewing into my life. Clearly my children need me to make them more clothing.

10 comments:

  1. Hi,
    So, I am not a clothes maker at all, except if knitted. Could I make these with hardly any clothes making experience? Are the instructions very clear? I looked at the website you mentioned and saw a bunch of other sweet patterns, and was wondering if you had tried any others? Thanks.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabric you used for A's pants too! I am so glad that he likes it. I think the Oliver & S patterns are beautiful. I look forward to seeing the little sailor style outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous!
    I have been so wanting to make my boys some pants. Gonna get on that that today. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to make my boys some pants too. These Oliver & S ones are adorable. And I'm so glad to see you all getting outside every day. What a relief it must be to you after such a very long winter. I honestly can't even imagine what it must be like but I'm fascinated by it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that you know I'm out there...
    I have to say - your floors are the most beautiful floors, ever. Anywhere. By far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sweet pants! I love the retro rocket ships and the red bias tape! Too cute! My kids are wearing the same clothing these days too, makes it all the easier. I have made my daughter pj pants by the trace method I think I may just try it again for all three kids, your pictures have inspired me!! I find I really have to be in the mood to sit down and sew. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Anna,
    I'd say pants are a great first sewing project- they are quite easy. And this pattern was quite easy to follow. It looks like some of their other patterns are more complicated, I've not tried any of the others (they are a little pricey...) but I'd like to. You could maybe try making pants from a online pattern first to give it a try? I bet there are soome free patterns out there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the floor love Marlene. We do love them, they were our one big splurge on our renos. And its lucky that the photos don't show the scuffs and crumbs and smooshed banana.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the boys´ pants, they are so cute! Especially the spaceship fabric! Give your boys giant hugs and kisses from us (Papa P too!) And and extra long smooshy hug from me to you... Love you and miss you from HOT Portugal.

    Aunte Liza

    ReplyDelete