Monday, January 11, 2010

getting out

It is melty warm here- I can hear the rain on the roof as I write this. We have been getting outside every day (though this weekend was an exception, with water issues to solve and we payed the price with squirrely kidlets!) and it is so key to keeping us happy and healthy- a fact I have to remind myself as I coax and cajole my children into long underwear and sweaters and snowsuits and mittens.

Today was a lovely walk, the snow melting from the trees, the sun slanting through, the squirrels out to entertain us with their tree jumping and cheekiness. Dori fell asleep again in the Ergo and I laid him down in the bed and went back out to build a snowman with Ari, checking in periodically to make sure he wasn't overheating in his snowsuit. Ari is in love with snowmen right now. The Snowman movie I mentioned is a big reason- it really is a magic one if you are looking for a sweet, short gentle film for young ones. Though it is a bit sad at the end when the snowman melts. Ari nowturns it off just before this scene and to keep his image of the friendly snowman alive in his mind.

Which is what he was thinking when he built this one. "I'm going to build a jolly snowman, Mama. At night it will come alive and we can fly together!" But he was happy to veer away from the movie plot with this sculpture- this is a snowmama, who is carrying two babies on her back. She does looks pretty jolly. I wonder what sort of adventures she will take my little dreamer on tonight?


5 comments:

  1. Awww this is so sweet. It's wonderful that you get to spend a little time together with your oldest while you're little one sleeps.
    My little one is all about snowman right now too. His favourite book is Snowmen At Night by Caralyn Buehner which you are certainly not going to find on any Enki or Waldorf lists but we like just the same. It's told in rhyme which is always a hit at my house.
    I can relate to the squirrelly kids. We are inside more this week because of some heavy wind & rain and it's making us all a bit off.
    Jane in BC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute little snowmama! I love that she has 2 babies with her. Have you seen the Irn Bru (scottish soft drink) advert which uses the Snowman as it's key idea....I don't think I'd let Ari see it but it is very clever!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfiqrkV_ZqI


    It also lets you see some of Scotland's key sites - the Forth Rail Bridge, Eilean Donan Castle, the viaduct at Glenfinnan, Glasgow, Edinburgh Castle etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you introduced Ari to Kipper yet? http://www.hitentertainment.com/kipper/ very very sweet, and would make my toddlers giggle like nothing else could. The books are great, but the videos are best. He has a friend, Tiger (also a dog), who is really serious, whereas Kipper is a bit more mischievous. I'm quite sad that my two have outgrown Kipper! (but now we're into Shaun the Sheep, which is very good fun for adults too).
    I love Ari's snow mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks jolly too!

    So with all that melty weather, I guess that means don't bother trying to plan a trip to come cross country ski? :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the fun recomendations everyone! And no Annie, now probably isn't the time to organize a ski trip this direction- It has been raining and melty and windy - more like the weather you are used to. Hopefully we will be getting winter back again shortly and you can come visit and ski!

    ReplyDelete