Thursday, January 28, 2010

a marble day

:: family watching the marbles from their "up high bridge"::

:: the "big scene"::


My mom took Dori this morning for a couple hours (much to his excitement- he loooves my mom,) and Ari and I had play time together. He wanted for us to build a marble run together, something that is near impossible with a toddler around, and so we went straight to it as soon as the baby departed. Much complicated construction ensued- a viewing bridge and a roadway and a complex marble run with his new "hilly track" he got from Nana and Grandpa for Christmas. He was totally in the zone and played with it long after I had retreated to my knitting.

We were needing some time together today, the past few days have been a bit tough, with lots of conflicts and butting of heads. After such string of lovely days- weeks even- it was kind of a shocker, reminding me of how it was during the twos and also reminding me of how good things have been of late.



Some hang out time was just what we needed. After marble run building there was lots of book reading and kitchen projects and playing of "mama and baby otter"- a game that mostly involves snuggling together, but with some imaginary eating of fish and clams (you have to crack the clam on a rock and toss away the shell, just so you know,) to make things exciting. I love this boy so very much. And these tough days really have been the exception, mostly I think three-and-a-half is pretty darn spectacular. And being able to join this sweet boy in his world of magic and adventure is such an amazing thing. I love you my baby otter.

5 comments:

  1. Precious moments together like this are wonderful! The marble run is pretty impressive. I look forward to seeing a post with your knitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how sweet- mama and baby otter! I often get to be a mama wildcat.
    Those times alone with one child are so precious- and so few and far between! Ari is so cute- and 3 1/2 is pretty grand! My son Asa will be 3 very soon- and I am already seeing that change from 2 to 3. . .
    GREAT marble run- we have marble runs too, but we hadn't thought to build up so high!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 1/2 seems so big, specially as they become more independent, don't need mama about all the time, but then baby brother does and it's easy to forget that big brother does need a bit of special mama time too. I have found in the past that my eldest retreats if she doesn't get the attention she needs, whereas youngest makes sure he gets the attention - that's just his character. We now have some special time together after he's gone to bed, have the odd Saturday on our own and even have a few days in Holland planned together that we're both greatly looking forward to. It's very important for all of us I think, to have that time occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It won't be long now when Dori is in on the marble run fun too. It can be so frustrating for older kids when youngers knock over their hard work.

    I love the cherished moments you share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh the otter game. we play that too.
    Little A and i have been thinking, wondering, worrying some about how things will be with a newbie in May so we decided to have a special date spot, near home, just the 2 of us where we can connect. it's so great to read this post and see that it's possible still with 2 little ones to have some real quality one on one time. indeed the smallest one will add some feist and fire but i think we're up for it.
    you're a pretty special mama.

    ReplyDelete