Wednesday, January 27, 2010

portraits

This is Ari's first drawing of our family, drawn on family art night last week. Left to right is Dori (with the hair just growing in!) Papa, Me and Ari, in case you couldn't tell. I love it a awful lot even if I am the shortest- shorter even than Dorian. Don't tell me what that means. I don't want to know.
This was the first representation of people, but monsters have been around for awhile now. And when Ari was asked what he wanted to make his brother for his solstice gift he said "a soft monster." So soft monster it was. Two in fact.


I had him draw out some designs on paper first, and then gave him a fabric pen and some white cotton and he drew out his monsters. The one on the left there has lips, tongue spiky hair and lots of sharp claws on his hands and feet. The one on the right has lots of legs and eyebrows and an eyebrow over its nose as well. He chose the backing fabric, red of course- solid and polka dots. A fun quick project that he was really proud of. And they are coming in handy as doll pillows too. The dolls haven't complained yet about having to sleep on all those claws and things.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love the art work of little children! Especially the people! And these are just adorable.
    Thank you for your kind comments on my blog- I feel the same about you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love self portraits by kids. In my art classes, I get the students to make one every term. Its wonderful. My most favroite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you ever had instruction on interpreting childrens drawings? we studied a bit about it for my Lifeways training and i love how right on kids drawings are based on development...the legs coming straight out from the head, for example. I love the pillow monsters! what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The drawing of your family is wonderful! What a treasure. It is so nice too to see the handmade gift Ari gave to Dori- a true gift of the heart. As always thank you for sharing a bit of your life with all of us. You and your family are a spot of sunshine, calmness and inspiration! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete