
Well, we have survived the flu bugs and are (mostly) through the post- sick- grumps, and we've been busy creating and building and making all sorts of things. We made some mousie valentines- they just need their tales and messages of love written inside for friends and family.

After the valentine project the boys made their own paper craft project that involved cutting up tiny pieces of paper and stirring them in the kitchen pots. I also heard the door open and close several time and found lots of paper bits outside in the snow- coloured hail apparently. At one point Ari held out the pot of paper and said "would you like any gloomy spectacles?" I'm not sure if that is something you wear or eat, but I was took some just the same and thankfully it didn't make me gloomy at all.
I finished a pair of fingerless mitts and this was the best I could do at photographing them myself with a 50mm lens. I like the final product, but didn't enjoy knitting them much- long ribbed tubes in thin sock yarn took forever and was pretty mindless. Looking for a more interesting next project. But it was fun to end up with something for myself!
During the week of sick I spent some sewing time turning an old sweater into a dress and pair of pants for a birthday girl. I had such fun making this- figuring out a pattern for the dress and finding materials I had on hand to make it work. The purple trim is from a merino wool jersey top that I had used parts of, but I still had enough for this. I hope these will be some good warm layers for a little girl that has been having trouble staying warm in the cold weather.
I also worked on a project that I had to borrow the boys new paints for. More on that later.
And both Ari and Dorian have been building and creating elaborate scenes. They start with setting up a wooden train track and they they get to constructing buildings and barnyards and animal habitats around the tracks.
I especially liked this part of one of Ari's scenes- a robin wearing a "cape" playing electric guitar on a (literal) rock stage. The glasses came from my mom, and they come in handy when the small creatures need to rock out!
Dorian set up this scene on top of the toy shelf. I love listening to his little voice as he plays- he really sinks into his play with a lot of depth for such a little one, and the characters are always chatting away to each other, solving their problems and then getting tucked in to bed. Sounds good to me!
I hope you had a great weekend, friends.

After the valentine project the boys made their own paper craft project that involved cutting up tiny pieces of paper and stirring them in the kitchen pots. I also heard the door open and close several time and found lots of paper bits outside in the snow- coloured hail apparently. At one point Ari held out the pot of paper and said "would you like any gloomy spectacles?" I'm not sure if that is something you wear or eat, but I was took some just the same and thankfully it didn't make me gloomy at all.
I finished a pair of fingerless mitts and this was the best I could do at photographing them myself with a 50mm lens. I like the final product, but didn't enjoy knitting them much- long ribbed tubes in thin sock yarn took forever and was pretty mindless. Looking for a more interesting next project. But it was fun to end up with something for myself!
During the week of sick I spent some sewing time turning an old sweater into a dress and pair of pants for a birthday girl. I had such fun making this- figuring out a pattern for the dress and finding materials I had on hand to make it work. The purple trim is from a merino wool jersey top that I had used parts of, but I still had enough for this. I hope these will be some good warm layers for a little girl that has been having trouble staying warm in the cold weather.
I also worked on a project that I had to borrow the boys new paints for. More on that later.
And both Ari and Dorian have been building and creating elaborate scenes. They start with setting up a wooden train track and they they get to constructing buildings and barnyards and animal habitats around the tracks.
I especially liked this part of one of Ari's scenes- a robin wearing a "cape" playing electric guitar on a (literal) rock stage. The glasses came from my mom, and they come in handy when the small creatures need to rock out!
Dorian set up this scene on top of the toy shelf. I love listening to his little voice as he plays- he really sinks into his play with a lot of depth for such a little one, and the characters are always chatting away to each other, solving their problems and then getting tucked in to bed. Sounds good to me!I hope you had a great weekend, friends.
I LOVE LOVE LVE the dress and pants I might need to make Rebe some. You clever lady! What a lot of fun your boys have and so creative. I love the robin in the cape :-) hugs x
ReplyDeleteOh I have so much to say.
ReplyDeleteI know just what you mean about post-sick grumps. It takes some time to feel normal again- to feel nourished and energized. For little ones to be sick, it just turns their world upside down. Then once they're completely better, they are stronger for it. :)
I love your boys play, I say this a lot- but they remind me of my two middle boys. :) Little scraps of paper are just the best playthings- now we have to be ultra cautious though because Ezri likes to eat them. Imagine my fright when his diaper had red all in it- red tissue paper.
I very much love the dress and pants- sewing with sweaters is simply the best thing ever!!!
<3
Hoping your days are nourishing and revitalizing...we have one who is sick with a mild cold, and interestingly, he is really "off" before he gets sick, and once he is sick, he begins to return to his normal emotional state. Interesting, how some are that way. Once he gets the illness, it's like he is almost coming through a stage of awakening or growth, and is now on the other side. :-)
ReplyDeleteI love your fingerless mittens. I'm still knitting random squares, and quite loving it. I can only imagine when that will eventually become too simplistic, but oh, to make something real like those mittenss! I must persevere in my knitting!!
laangel- thanks! The dress and pants were pretty easy, I could let you know what I did if you are wanting to make Rebe some- it was fun to have the excuse to sew a dress!
ReplyDeletemelanie- that is a good reminder about the sickness turning a child's world upside down- it is so true but I forget it and get impatient. And I am so often reminded of my boys when I read your blog- they would sure have fun together! And yikes about the tissue paper in the diaper!
Erin- interesting how differently each child deals with an illness, even between my two they go through it in very different ways. And yes, do persevere, I am enjoying knitting so much these days, though I still have so much to learn. I just found a pattern for slippers made of knitted squares- I should pass it on to you, you could make up a bunch!