Today was a good day. A long one day, but a good one. The boys were busy this morning playing shop and mailman. I was given the role of "auntie", but luckily my job was to sit and drink tea and knit and get my letters delivered from Mexico right to the kitchen table which seemed like a good deal. We worked on making a garland from sweater scraps- this was our advent activity from yesterday, but it we didn't get to it until today. The boys enjoyed it for awhile and it was a satisfying use of all the felted bits I have been storing.
Ari and Dorian wanted to work on shovelling off the pond today as they are really keen to get their skates on, but we found it a slushy mess with he warm weather we've had the past few days. The kids were content to shovel around the house instead and tired themselves out nicely.
I tried something different with circle today and it went really well. I had read about "adventure circles" which some Enki families use- where you tell a little story that ties the activities together and act out the story together. I made up a quick story about delivering presents to our friends in our horse-drawn sleigh using silks for props and the boys loved it. None of the verses or songs were new, but the story made it feel new and was fun for all of us.





I am just now catching up on blogs and I must say it sure looks dreamy and cosy up there! Whenever I get nervous about our first true winter here I remember how much fun you all seem to create up there. Your photos are so inspiring!
ReplyDeleteThe garland looks fantastic! I don't have nearly enough scraps to make an entire garland, perhaps maybe a small wreath ornament for the tree?!
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you master that gingerbread recipe! I was planning on making ours with spelt and maple syrup this year. I'm sorry you don't have it quite that easy, can you eat rice flour?
~ joey ~
That's a lot of snow! Sounds like a fun time though and a great way to tire children out - which is what cold weather is so wonderful for. :)
ReplyDelete