Friday, October 19, 2012

around here this week:
:: eating apples
::playing, playing, playing

:: dealing with all the tomatoes that are ripening in the apple box in the back room. Feeling thankful that all the green ones we pulled out of the greenhouse have turned into these red jewels.

:: enjoying our school work. In these pictures Dorian is drawing a castle (I am loving his drawing so much these days!) and Ari is working on a 100's chart. He is really enjoying our math block, he loves to play around with numbers.

:: slipping away when I can to help my dear friend to get settled into her new house before her baby comes. Taking home her baby woolens to wash for her and loving having tiny woolly things on the drying rack again!


 :: loving this transition time from autumn to winter- the snow moving down the mountains a little each day, the leaves blowing off in the gusts of cold wind, the mix of sun and rain and even a bit of snow that melts quickly. Ari can't wait for winter so he can get his skiis on again. I am happy to have autumn stay a bit longer!

:: lots of time with the chickens this week. These ones are the "baby chicks" from this year that the boys were so involved in raising. They are laying now so we moved them over to the layers coop. But there are now 2 roosters and 17 hens, and we have been keeping a close eye on the chicken dynamics. The old birds are not accepting these ones as readily as they have in the past, but no one is being hurt so we'll watch and see. This new rooster is a beauty, isn't he? He's very gentlemanly with his ladies too- the kids have been feeding them rosehips and he takes them, "kills them" by whacking them on the ground a few times, and then calls his girls over and drops them at their feet!

 :: walking to many of our favorite places on the land that we hardly visited in the height of garden/farm season. The boys are thrilled to be back on their favorite "running hills" and secret tree houses in the woods.



Happy weekend  friends!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a wonderful week! I love your story about the rooster and the rosehips... animals are so full of personality, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny that your rooster "kills" the rosehips before feeding them to the hens! Such a gentleman indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! And look at all those woolens! You are an angel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the short autumn in our latitudes as well, it is really beautiful. It is over for us now and we are deep down in snow already! And so interesting to read about your homeschooling, we do not homeschool but it is always nice to read how other families go around their days. We live in such a small community (only 100 people) and the school is (very) small where several grades are combined together. We know all the teachers and it is a really cosy environment. I feel very happy our children will be part of it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Taisa, hope you and your family are all well. I'm not certain of your location but I hope the Hurricane that hit the northeast coast did not affect you. I live on Long Island but was one of the fortunate ones. I just lost power for 11 days and 3 trees. Missing your posts but most importantly concerned about your family's well being. Once again hope all is well and blessing your way.

    Warm wishes,
    Roxana

    ReplyDelete