This is a bit of an in between time as far as food goes up here in the north- the gardens are not quite ready to fill our plates, and the root cellars are looking pretty bare. We are just finishing up our root crops from last year, they have held out really well and we've not had to buy carrots or potatoes or beets all winter, and the onions got us part way through the season. It has been too cold and wet to enjoy being outside much the past while, but the gardens are growing fast with all the rain, and we will have lettuce and radishes and spinach any day. And we have enough rhubarb to feed several armies. I think we'll be giving away a few plants next year. And eating lots of rhubarb crisp. A friend sent me a link to this little video on good food that is worth checking out. Choosing local food seems like such a simple, healthy step (though we enjoyed a thai curry tonight, so we are not always local!)And I am nearly done my second sock! I think I could get hooked on baby sock making, it's something I can do in those little spaces when Ari is playing by himself and I am not too far into other house projects. And perfect timing with the knitting love being sparked again is the arrival of this book and yarn in the mail from Di at Woolly Wanderings- thank you so much Di! What a generous gift to send across the seas- and so many fun projects!
I commented on Di's blog about the pirate she was knitting, since there are some serious pirate fanatics in my family, and the pirate pattern is super cute, but oh, this horse! The little saddle and knobby knees and granny square blanket! I think I'll have to attempt to stretch my rudimentary knitting skills a bit and jump into this project.
And the dolphin is pretty darn sweet too.
Oh what a cute horsey! That looks like a fun knitting project :)
ReplyDeleteWow, veggies that last a whole year? that is fantastic- my potatoes and carrots (from the store) barely last a month :)
ReplyDeleteI am so envious of your root cellar! How wonderful to have your veggies see you through the year like that. mmmm!
ReplyDeleteI think I will have to buy that knitting book for my mother-in-law the super duper knitter. Is it rude to drop hints like that? Those projects look amazing--I love the litte horse!
I am so glad that the parcel arrived safely and that you are inspired! I have already knit the unicorn and the hooves and knees are just so cute!! Of course, as usual, I have yet to sew it all together!!
ReplyDelete